The Martian

The Martian - Andy Weir

I absolutely loved this book! It pushed all my right buttons!

So that’s the situation. I’m stranded on Mars. I have no way to communicate with Hermes or Earth. Everyone thinks I’m dead. I’m in a Hab designed to last thirty-one days.
If the oxygenator beaks down, I’ll suffocate. If the water reclaimer breaks down, I’ll die of thirst. If the Hab breaches, I’ll just kind of explode. If none of those things happen, I’ll eventually run out of food and starve to death.
So yeah. I’m fucked.

Mark Watney is an absolutely fantastic character; he’s hilarious and I simply love his sense of humor.

I need to ask myself, “What would an Apollo astronaut do?”
He’d drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the Launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover.
Man those guys where cool.

In all those hopeless situations he is in, he never once loses his sense of humor, and that makes this book so exciting, unputdownable, and just plain fun!

“What must it be like?” he pondered. “He’s stuck out there. He thinks he’s totally alone and that we all gave up on him. What kind of effect does that have on a man’s psychology?”
He turned to Venkat. “I wonder what he’s thinking right now.”

LOG ENTRY: SOL 61

How come Aquaman can control whales?
They’re mamals! Makes no sense.

I even found the sciency stuff pretty interesting, it lent the book credibility and made the story of Mark so tangible and gripping.
I also learned some important stuff while reading this book, such as the wonders of duct tape:

Yes, of course duct tape works in near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped.

All in all, I have to say, The Martian is one of the best books I've read this year. I literally couldn't put the book down, all the while I was constantly on the edge of my seat, utterly captivated, and laughing throughout Mark’s adventure on Mars.

After I board Ares 4 I will take control of a craft in international waters without permission.
That makes me a pirate!