Intimate Deception

Intimate Deception - Laura Landon Intimate Deception is about Lady Grace Warren, who in a desperate attempt to escape marriage to the depraved Lord Fentington, gives away her virginity, so that Fentington would no longer want to marry her, and Vincent Germaine, the Duke of Raeburn, who plans on never marrying again after losing two wives in childbirth. With his vow to never marry again, Vincent only has sex with prostitutes and makes sure to always pull out before finishing. But because Grace is so speshul, he doesn’t pull out with her. After finding out that she was a virgin, he gets it into his head that he must find her – while being upset that he was “deceived”. I actually laughed at this, I mean he wanted sex and that’s what he got, but he goes on and on about how angry and furious he is, because he was used for sex (while visiting a brothel).

Grace suffers a little from being a Marie Sue. Her mother’s dead, her father has no love for his daughters, she has sacrificed her own future to raise her sisters and so that they can be happy, and of course she doesn’t think she’s pretty.
She had never been as pretty as her sisters. She’s been ordinary and plain, with only her thick, golden hair and large, dark eyes to recommend her.
Sounds like a Marie Sue to me, because tall, slender women with big boobs, a fair complexion, long, thick hair, and big eyes are so fucking “ordinary”.

A strong theme of this book is the dangers of dying while giving birth in those days. I expected a bit more depth into this and into Vincent’s struggle with it, as he has already had two wives and children die. Instead, what I got was listening to the men complain about how long they had to wait while their wives gave birth.
“I think it’s bloody inconsiderate of them to put us through such torture,” Wedgewood said from behind him.
Poor, poor men. Having to go through such “torture”, I’m sure it’s nothing compared to, say, giving birth.

Vincent and Grace's relationship develops through the book, with Vincent trying to protect his heart from losing someone he loves again. There is an underlying plot as well, with a villain (which I didn’t think was necessary to the story, had the whole psychological aspect of giving birth and Vincent’s struggle been delved into more deeply) and a plot twist that were really obvious.