The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms  - N.K. Jemisin The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin is one of my absolute favorites in the fantasy / epic fantasy genre.

Gods and Godlings exist, and they do not live in peace and harmony with each other, there is court intrigue, plots and deceptions, bad-ass female characters, and a refreshingly wide range of cultures, and ethnics depicted.

I absolutely love this about N.K. Jemisin, she faces issues like sexism and racism in her books and depicts a realistic, and diverse world – which, (sadly) is so often missing in standard fantasy books, where the protagonist is a white male and faces a great evil that endangers his white, heterosexual, patriarchal world.

There is none of that in this book. Yeine is an absolute amazing, tough protagonist, and a welcome deviation from the standard fantasy hero. She is not slut shamed for her sexuality, she holds true to herself, and she stays strong (and kick-ass) through all the hardships she must face.

There is no overwhelming romance, no insta-love, and no simply-misunderstood-with-a-hidden-depth-who-just-need-the-right-woman-to-love-him-and-heal-him hero.

I absolutely recommend this to any fantasy-lover – and to anyone who is tired of seeing racism and sexism depicted in fantasy books, explained away by “but that’s how the times where back then”. N.K. Jemisin topples this status quo with this amazing, deep, and wonderful fantasy tale.