The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever  - Julia Quinn I’m a big fan of Julia Quinn and her awesome historical romances, but The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (by the way, her diaries are really not a secret) just didn’t work for me. Well, more precisely, I didn’t like the hero, Turner. I like dark, brooding heroes in my HR as well as the next person, but this was just too much. Turner was such a condescending, patronizing, overbearing asshole; his redemption did come, finally, in the end, however too late and too little, in my opinion.

He threatens to hit, hurt the heroine, Miranda, and his sister, Olivia; he thinks she (Miranda) is amusing and overreacting when she gets angry at not being allowed to purchase a book because she is a woman; and he constantly speaks to her in a condescending and patronizing tone, constantly belittling her.

For example, this he says to his sister, Olivia:
“When we were children, I never once struck you, despite, I might add, ample reason.”
He paused in menacingly. “But I am not averse to starting right now.”
He threatens her at every turn:
“Well, you’re still compromised, and you’re still marrying me.”
“No,” she said derisively, “I’m not.”
“Oh, you will,” he said, his eyes glittering ruthlessly. “You just don’t know it yet.”
She backed away from him. “I don’t see how you’re going to force me.”
He took a step forward. “I don’t see how you’re going to stop me.”
Then, of course, he finally bullies her into marrying him, if possible he gets worse.
She swallowed. “Of course. I just got married, didn’t I? Isn’t that what everyone wants?”
Is it what you want?”
Are you fucking kidding me? It’s a little late for that! He knows that she didn’t want to marry him in that way; he bullied her into marrying him, and then has the gall to ask if that's what she wanted?!
Fuck this shit!
”You’re just lucky I don’t haul you off to church right this instant. Get yourself a dress and get yourself some flowers, because, sweetheart, you’re getting yourself a new name.”

“Now buck up puss, and look on the bright side. We shall make more babies and have a splendid time doing so, I promise never to beat you of forbid you to do anything that is not utterly foolish,”