On the Edge - Ilona Andrews

Rose Drayton lives with her two younger brothers on the Edge, a plain of existence between the Broken and the Weird. She meets Declan, a real asshole blueblood from the Weird. The story in itself was enjoyable; however there were so many things that bothered me.

I first assumed that the Weird is this archaic, medieval world, because of the archaic, sexist way Declan treats women and thinks about them. But the Weird is in fact just as advanced as our world (the Broken) just with magic instead of technology. I guess this says something about our world...

There are numerous examples in this book so I’m just going to quote a few here:

“The first rule of etiquette a boy learns when he’s about to enter society is that civility is due to all women.”

Only to women? I personally think that civility is due to all human beings.

If you break her heart, it will shatter my granddaughter. It will destroy her utterly, turning her into a bitter wreck.”

There is also slut shaming.

“You just said that the only women you favor with your attentions are either sluts or whores and that you prefer it that way.

So sluts and whores according to this book is a woman who “doesn’t mind having her reputation sullied, because she’s either in the market for a lover or she’s looking for a patron to support her”!

They were two boys raised by women. Enter Declan, who had swords and magic, who was strong and manly

There is so much wrong with this. I know guys who were “raised by women” and grew up completely happy this way and were in no way “starved for male attention” like Rose’s two brothers. But this book often says that either William or Declan are so important for the boys and can give them something that Rose can’t. A strong idol? Why the hell can't that be Rose? Rose has guns and awesome magic! Why isn’t she ‘strong enough’? Let me guess, it’s because she isn’t a man.

I’ve noticed this time and time again, an author has a character make a certain statement about themselves that fundamentally defines them, but the character will never actually act this way. Either it’s just lazy characterization or it's trying to tell the reader that a character is particularly (in this case) strong and independent, without actually having to be consistent with her being strong and independent.

“My money would let you leave this place.”
“This place is my home. Would you do it if you were me?”
“No,” he said immediately.
“Why do you think I would?”

Why indeed? Is there a particular reason that she’s automatically the one who would leave her home while it’s never a question of him leaving his home? The reader is led to believe that Rose is independent and wouldn’t just uproot her and her brother’s lives, give up everything they’ve ever known, travel to a different world, and be completely dependent on someone else. However

this is exactly what she does. So this whole dialogue is pointless, because while she’s saying that this is her home that she wouldn’t just leave, it’s nothing but an empty statement. And it was never even a factor in the decision that Declan stay with her instead, it was only ever an option of her to leaving everything behind.

(show spoiler)

These little things really bother me, and while they may not seem crucial to the story line, they still keep me from enjoying a story I would have liked. But I just can’t turn my brain off long enough to enjoy a book without analyzing and making sarcastic comments every few pages...