The Inheritance - Zelda Reed

Caitlin Wheeler attends her estranged father's funeral, where she meets handsome, rich and powerful - because of course he is - Neal Dietrich. They leave her father's funeral early and...hook up. So...meet Neal, I guess...

Caitlin always hated her father, and the feeling was apparently mutual, but no, wait, he leaves her all his money in his will, so he must have loved her, right? Right?

When Chazz Neil isn't picking up women at funerals,

he's the CEO of Caitlins father's company. He is also a confirmed bachelor who doesn't do serious relationships.
(hah, this one never gets old)
But upon meeting Caitlin, he wants more, even if he doesn't realize it, because reasons.

I just couldn't get invested enough in the story. It's too unbelievable, the "romance" between Caitlin and Neal seemed forced and unrealistic.

That aside, I'm going to nitpick a bit:

She’s said all of three words to us, “I’m so sorry,"

-> I am so sorry = four words

I know I should be the safe, responsible girl I was in college. No sex with condoms, I don’t care if I’m on birth control!

So...what you're saying is, that having sex without condoms is safe? Great thing to put into your book. Thanks.
And with the guy you just met and picked up at your father's funeral no less - because you know, no weirdos hang out at funerals to pick up women.

Deep and animalistic, it makes the blond hair on my arms stand up.

Thanks for telling us what color Caitlin's arm hair is. What necessary information to give us during this sex scene. Here I was picturing her with black arm hair, gosh; it just wouldn't have been the same...

He sets a piece of paper on top before he folds his hands and addresses us. “What you should know is that this ‘reading of the will business’ isn’t very customary at all.”

Thank you, I hate it when things, that don’t happen that way in real life, are used for dramatic affects in movies. So instead of enjoying a movie, I have to constantly point out inconsistencies (and get on everyone’s nerve, who have the misfortune of having to watch a movie with me).

The man I don’t know, large and Italian,

That’s racist, how do you know the man’s Italian if you don’t know him? Because he’s large from eating pasta all day? Was he also wearing a white suit and fedora and saying “capiche”? Well, it still would be racist. And are you seriously using a nationality as an adjective to describe this character?

says, “That’s not true. You see it all the time in uh, movies.”

Thanks, nameless Italian man, who is only in the book to tell us, that if it’s in a movie, it must be true. Because we all know, that movies never use anything as a plot devise, for dramatic effect or just because it looks cooler, that is not absolutely how real life works.

“Movies. Make believe.

Wait, movies aren’t real? They’re make believe?

My point exactly.” Donald takes a drink. “But Julian, as all of you know, had a flair for the dramatic so here we are. The formal reading of his will.

Wait, what? So you bothered to research this fact, took the time to explain to the reader, that this doesn’t happen in real life – and again, yay for research and detail – but you’re just going to do it anyway? Oh, you mean Julian wanted it this way, well then that completely makes sense. Hah, take that every movie that used a 'reading of the will' incorrectly. First you have to point out, that what you're doing is not done, and then do it anyway. Because reason.

Now, so far my review has been a bit sarcastic – yes, really – and that’s just because I didn’t really care enough about the book to be more serious, but this next part made me fucking mad:

“Then you’re going to let me fuck you,” he says.
I look up at him, annunciating every letter. “No.”
Neal devours my mouth with his own, our lips clumsily smacking against one another, front teeth bumping against bottom teeth, like we’re desperate horny teenagers who’ve snuck away from our parents for a quick fuck. He knows I want this. His tongue swipes across my bottom lip and erases the
“no” that’s settled there.

He fucks her. Then this:

“You wanted this,” he says, hissing and almost desperate.

Apart from the punctuation error, it’s these kinds of things, that are dangerous and carry an unsafe message. No means NO. No matter what. There are no grey areas. And I know this is a romance book, and blah, blah, blah, reasons make this okay. Wrong. The fact remains; she said no, he violently kissed her, fucked her and then had to reassure himself that she wanted it as well.
While it may be hot when this happens between two people, who know each other and know each other’s limits and how they feel it. But these two just met like a day ago, had a one night stand, and now she’s mad at him and doesn’t want to fucking talk to him. So don’t give me this bullshit, that he can “feel” that she now is saying yes, even though she told him no.

Now looking at this scene from his point of view, this is what happens: He says she’s going to let him fuck her, she says loud and clearly no, he grabs her, kisses her violently, he ignores her no, and fucks her hard. After he fucks he hisses desperately to her, “you wanted this”.
I mean, Is this for real? Because this reads exactly like a rape scene. Fuck this, this is a rape scene. This kind of behavior is dangerous, and even though it’s “just a book” a lot of people, including the author I presume, will think this scene is hot, and that Neal is really hot because of it. And what pisses me off, is that it wouldn't take much to make this scene safe and consensual, all it takes is for the heroine to actually say fucking yes. Not too much to ask for.

The whole story was meh. But this part made me hate the book and the hero, Neal. It also took my rating from the 2 stars I had intended to 0.5 star. As a kindle serial, the first installment should have gotten me wanting to read the second. I will not.